Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Little More Explanation

When I first started quilting, I got Jinny Beyer's book Quiltmaking by Hand because I thought I might like to try hand piecing. I started reading the book and realized that to piece by hand I would have to cut and mark all the pieces. That just sounded like a lot of work. I hate cutting. I'm not very good at it either. But I really do not enjoy cutting an entire quilt's worth of fabric at one time and if you added marking it to the process... Well, I figured that I just didn't have the patience to hand piece a quilt.

Then I realized that if i joined a Block of the Month I would only have to cut one month's fabric at a time. Imagine my joy! I joined the Fat Quarter Shop's 2009 Designer Mystery Block of the Month. Shortly after that, since I work in a sort of help desk capacity, my boss mentioned that I might want to bring something to do during the considerable down time between helping people. That's when I decided to hand piece that Block of the Month quilt. To my surprise, I actually enjoy the hand piecing. It was a bonus when I realized that my hand pieced blocks ended up looking better than my machine pieced blocks.

Which brings me to the next project I will be starting - the 120 blocks. I'll be starting after I finish piecing the top for the Designer Mystery BOM and after I join all the blocks and borders for our church's Lottie Moon Auction Quilt. At that point, I should have some time to begin working on the first block.