Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Randomness (to borrow a word from my daughter)

Although I'm heading downstairs in a few minutes to work on various projects (pressing the hand piecing stuff, maybe some handquilting on the huge UFO, and machine piecing the church quilt, in case it matters), I looked at my brief profile description and realized it is inaccurate (or maybe just in adequate). Yes, I'm a retired public school teacher, but I haven't recently discovered quilting. I've always known it was there. Actually, a dormmate tried to teach me to do some hand piecing way back in the early 70s when I was in college, but at that point in time I just didn't have the patience for it so it never went anywhere.

Regardless of when I started noticing quilts, I have always admired them and wished I could do that (or at the very least afford to buy one!). I would got to the church auctions and ooh and aah at what beautiful quilts were produced for the auction, and I would want one. I would bid up whoever bought the quilt as far as I felt sure that that person would outbid me, but I didn't dare actually buy one because the finances just weren't there.

One summer afternoon when the church quilters were meeting at church, I walked into the room. At first, they thought I was just stopping by to say hi. They were very excited when I told them I really wanted to help but I didn't know what to do sot they would have to show me. That year's quilt was a cathedral window, so we could do lots of it at home in front of the television and return it for eventual assembly. One of the women (most of whom were old enough to be my mother) offered to meet with some of us in the evening one night a week if there were other younger women who worked in the day and were anxious to help and learn. We ended up with enough materials to make the quilt and two cathedral window Christmas tree skirts.

Okay, now that I've clarified that, I will head downstairs for the iron, sewing machine and quilting frame. My daughter is out for a while so the family room is all mine!!!!!