Friday, June 11, 2010

I've Been a Slacker

So I haven't finished all the things I feel like I need to finish before I start this project, but since we are going to be gone all day tomorrow and I need to take something to do, maybe I'll cut the first block pieces and take it.

The only problem is that I have not made a decision on what kind of fabric to use. Do I use the fat quarters from the Cider Mill Press line or my favorite batiks or the Robin Pandolph fabric that I have. Life is so full of tough choices.

The other option would be to hit my scrap box and just use scraps since I will be doing these mostly as an experiment, maybe joining some together for a quilt or two, but I make no guarantees about that.

For those of you who don't know anything about the book I am using, Marsha MeClosky's Block Party: A Quilter's Extravaganza of 120 Rotary-Cut Block Patterns, let me tell you a little about it. Obviously, it contains 120 block patterns which are all rotary cut. Each pattern has shading suggestions and variations. The book also contains information about designing your own quilt and some projects, as well as a section on Quiltmaking Basics.

In the block patterns section, each page contains one pattern. There is a picture of the finished block, a line drawing of the block,  step by step pictorial directions, alternate shading suggestions and the all important cutting chart. The patterns are in alphabetical order, so the first one is called Air Castle and the second is Antique Star.

As I make these blocks, I will post pictures of my finished product for you to see, as well as mentioning any helpful hints I may have. Maybe if I get on a roll, I'll graduate to Jinny Beyer's book The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns: 4050 Pieced Blocks for Quilters. I'm pretty sure that will not be happening - although I own the book and it is amazing! I just can't see me....

But that's enough for now. If you have any suggestions for fabric to use or how to improve this blog, feel free to let me know. If I ever get to the point where I know I have enough readers, I actually have a magazine to give away. (I liked it so much I actually bought two copies - at two different times. I guess I'm too old to remember what I've bought and what I haven't bought.)