Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Progress

Here is the 2009 Designer Mystery Quilt from the Fat Quarter Shop! I have finished hand piecing the top! (I really need a design wall to hang quilts on for pictures! This is the floor of our sunroom.) I have to admit that I would probably not have chosen to use so much brown in a quilt, but I have to admit I do like this one. Some months I wondered if I would. Now I can fold it up and put it in a box with its backing fabric (which I pieced on the machine this afternoon). It has to wait for the quilting frame to be free before it gets quilted.

I should mention now how impressed I am with this Block of the Month! Each kit was very generous with the fabric, and I have so much fabric left over! Since this is sort of a Christmas fabric, some of it may show up in the next project. We'll see. I didn't go with the backing kit from The Fat Quarter Shop because it was red fabric and seemed too much for me. I did find some Glacé by Moda (which is what this fabric is) and was able to purchase 5 yards of a light blue with flowers for the backing. Of course, since this is my first BOM, my opinion may not be worth much!

I also pieced the binding for the church quilt today. So cutting for the first block or two of the 120 will probably begin very very soon! Of course, I also need to do some cleaning as we are having my niece and her boyfriend visit this weekend - but I need to fit it in so I am ready to leave on my business trip next week.