Saturday, August 21, 2010

B1 Is Done

So, apparently, the most difficult part of completing this block was taking the pictures. Who'd have thought that would be the case? Especially since I bought a new camera about a month ago. First, the tale of the camera!

So, last summer, just before a bridal shower she was helping to throw for a wedding in which she was a bridesmaid, my youngest daughter's camera died. Good mother that I try to be, I purchased her a pink Canon Powershot SD1200 IS. It took great pictures. I was jealous. Not that my Kodak didn't take good pictures, but it was several years older and had several fewer features and megapixels.

In April, I decided it was time to upgrade my camera and started looking around. That was when I discovered that none of the newer models in my price range had an optical viewfinder. All depended on the LCD screens, a disadvantage in bright sunlight, if you ask me. I was able to locate a blue camera in the same model as the one my daughter had, so I purchased it.

In early May, my oldest daughter was in her best friend's wedding and handed me her camera to use for picture taking. I dropped it and broke it. I was going to give her my old camera but then felt really guilty since she was headed for Europe this summer, so I gave her my new camera. She then traded with her sister for the older pink camera, because pink is her color. (Note: this means that younger daughter got new cameras twice in a row.)

By July I was again wishing to upgrade before all the cameras with optical viewfinders disappeared from the face of the earth, but I didn't feel like I could afford a second brand new camera so I purchased a factory refurbished green camera just like the daughters' cameras. It worked great until yesterday when I wanted to take the progress pictures for this block. Then it died. First, it just wouldn't focus. Then the lens froze in position so that even when I turned it off, the lens stayed out. Now I have to work with Canon and/or the online camera shop to get this resolved so I totally don't lose all of that money. Sigh.

Be that as it may, when I first realized that pictures were not happening with that camera yesterday, I started to wonder if I should skip the pictures and continue putting the block together or skip putting the block together until I could get to my old camera. (This decision was complicated by the fact that I had several hours of sitting at work and didn't want to spend all of it just aimlessly searching the internet.) Then I remembered my cell phone. And then I learned a new skill - pairing my cell phone with my computer using Bluetooth and transferring my pictures that way. So today's pictures are brought to you by my cell phone and Bluetooth.



As I began to get more of the pieces together, I began to think that maybe the color choices weren't quite as awful as I thought. This feeling continued as I added even more. And here is the finished product:


I hesitate to say this, but I am really happy with the way everything matched up here.  When I was searching for information online, I kept seeing that this was a paper pieced block, and that made me wonder if I could really pull it off. I think it looks pretty good, even if I do say so myself! 

Before I end our discussion of this block, I thought I'd let you know that Beacon Lights is the only name it's known by (according to the Jinny Beyer book) and it is attributed to Nancy Page, having been published in the Birmingham News in 1936. Now you know everything I know. It's on to the next block!


Enhanced by Zemanta