Monday, October 4, 2010

Beginning the Blazing Star

Last night when I cut the fabric I completely forgot to take a picture of the fabrics I used, so I am now making a blog post with no pictures - something I believe is kind of a no-no. I will probably post later today with progress pictures, so I'll get back to the picture thing then. Sorry, if the lack of pictures offends you, but it is what it is.


The new block is called Blazing Star. Since I like star blocks so well, I am looking forward to this one - but I really did not like cutting with templates. Which I guess is no big deal since I don't even like cutting anyway.


According to Jinny Beyer's book The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns, the Ladies Art Company catalog had a pattern of this name which was block three in a quilt by Nancy Page called the Stars of Many Points or the Quilt of Many Stars according to the June 4, 1934 edition of the Lowell Sun. While this Blazing Star is a beautiful block, it is not the at all the same block that I am making. 


The block I am making is more like the Blazing Star that Laura Wheeler published in the Illinois State Register in the June 13, 1933 edition. However, the block in Marsha McCloskey's Block Party: A Quilter's Extravaganza of 120 Rotary-Cut Block Patterns does not have the border around the block with cornerstones and prairie points that the Laura Wheeler block has.

The Kansas City Star also published a patterns for a block called Blazing Star on November 18, 1953 and one called The Blazing Star on February 15, 1930. Neither of these is the block I am making.

The Blazing Star that more closely approaches the one I am making here is Nancy Cabot's Blazing Star block pattern published in the Chicago Tribune on February 25, 1933, although the star points are much narrower in her version. Templates for this one are available here.


The exact (as far as I can tell) Blazing Star block that I am making was published in the book Quilt Designs by Jane Alan in 1933. It was called Patchwork design when it was published in The Ladies' Friend in 1866 and has also been known as Four-Pointed Star, Mother's Delight (attributed to Clara Stone in Practical Needlework, 1906) and Western Star. 

The Blazing Star block offered by McCall's website for free doesn't look the least bit like this Blazing Star. But it is very interesting looking. I may try it someday.


The Blazing Star block on Quilt Blocks Galore also is not the same. Actually, I don't even see a star in this block so I think it is terribly misnamed.


The Blazing Star block at the Easy Quilting site looks pretty much like the one on McCall's site. 


I could go on, but I think you get the point. Blazing Star is a very common name for a quilt and the blocks with that name don't even have to vaguely resemble each other. Sigh. Apparently there is no standardization in quilt block names!


I will most likely be back later with a brief post with progress pics! 'Til then, quilt on!