Saturday, February 5, 2011

Happy Waitangi Day Tomorrow

My charming youngest daughter gave me one of those daily calendars with quilt or block patterns for each day. The weekend days are both on one page. As I was examining today's block pattern (Snail's Trail), I noticed the words in "Waitangi Day, NZ" in small print. Intrigued, I looked up Waitangi Day on Wikipedia.  Apparently, Waitangi Day is a holiday celebrating the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi on February 6, 1840. The treaty is the document that made New Zealand part of the British Empire, gave the Maori the rights to their land, and granted the Maori the rights of British citizens.

So Happy Waitangi Day, New Zealand!

Looking at that calendar was all the quilting that got done today. Sigh. I certainly hadn't planned to be such a slacker. Sigh. But I was. Maybe I'll do better tomorrow.

Quilt on!