Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sundry Sunday Topics

I don't think I've ever mentioned it (and it is not a very quilty topic), but I loved Apple, Inc. Yes, we are a Mac family and, yes, I love my iPod Touch and my iPad, but what I'm really thrilled about today is the customer service. It is amazing!

Most recent example: Our wireless router for the last 19 months has been a refurbished Time Capsule (router + backup) which I purchased online. Today I woke up and it was dead. Really dead. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. The amber light came on and then went off. I hit the restart button. Same thing. I plugged the ethernet cable into my laptop and made a reservation at the Genius Bar at the local Apple store. Fast forward to the Apple Store. Justin the Genius told me that he had heard something about the problem and went to look up my Time Capsule's serial number. He came back and told me that there was a range of serial numbers that had been exhibiting this problem and were being given new (refurbished) replacement units. But mine didn't fall in that range and was out of warranty. However, he had a unit on hand and swapped mine out so that I was able to get our house back on track.

Two things I really appreciate about this example. First, Apple gave Justin the right to make that call on his own even though my unit didn't have the requisite serial number. Second, Apple was willing to replace my unit at no cost to me.

The other thing I like about Apple is the fact that the stock totally paid for my daughter's college education at a 4 year private college with an initial investment of less than $10,000.  Still have 9 shares left too.

Once I got that set up and my new initial backup started, I got to spend 2 1/2 hours hand quilting the big UFO in my basement. I probably kept at it for too long because my fingers are very sore now. But I was listening to podcasts and just enjoying the process. It is so relaxing! Such a different experience than when I machine quilt.

I got a phone call today from the woman who machine quilted my most recent quilt "finish" and I can get it back on Tuesday. She did a custom job on it and seemed quite pleased with what she did. I am really looking forward to seeing it! By the end of this week I hope to have the binding on it and deliver it to its owners. Then I will get to cross something off my quilty resolutions list!

I'm thinking of joining Sandy's (Quilting for the Rest of Us) Stash Mystery Challenge. (Guess whose podcasts I was catching up on - pardon my dangling prepositions.) I guess we'll see. I have some ideas that involve a panel and some honey buns. I'll let you know once I really decide.

Tomorrow it is back to work for me. Yes, this week is a five day week. Do you think I can get at least two blocks pieced? I hope so!

Quilt on!