Saturday, May 14, 2011

It Is Not Blogger's Fault!

Really, it is not Blogger's fault that I haven't posted lately. Really. Let's blame it on the house project. I have been cleaning and cleaning and cleaning the master bedroom and bath where my mother-in-law has lived for the past 9.5 years in preparation for our adoption of the rooms. The painting has happened. The carpet is being delivered and installed (crossing my fingers for attempt #2) on Monday. Then the moving into the bedroom and furniture shopping for the living room will begin, along with the cleaning of the guest bathroom and soon to be guest bedroom.

Since it seems like it is never going to end, I thought I'd better start fitting in some posting and some quilting or I will go nuts. So here I am.

I have yet another Paducah story to tell (and I could go on forever with the pictures but I promise I won't). I actually ran into a woman I know from work in the Ricky Tims lecture! I didn't know she was going to be there, and I didn't even know she quilted. (There's a reason for that, as you will learn in a minute.)

As we compared notes and she admitted to being an art quilter, I noticed that she was wearing a contestant ribbon. I didn't get to talk to her about it at that moment because Ricky started talking, but I ran into her the next day (after finding and admiring her quilt) and was able then to tell her how much I liked it. She then told me that it was the first quilt she ever made, and she designed it herself and made it completely by hand. I was (and still am) suitably impressed.

Now, I know that Anne is very precise and detail oriented, so it doesn't surprise me that her first quilt was good enough to be accepted into the competition. But, seriously, I would never have considered entering my first quilt in anything. As a matter of fact, I probably would not have felt competent to design my first quilt. I'm kind of iffy on that now, even though I've been quilting for several years.

So, without further ado, here is Anne Bednar's quilt, "Sunflower Reflections." It is 59" x 40".