Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I Am Not Wonky (depending on what you mean by that)

This past weekend I attended the greater Ann Arbor Area Quilt Guild Show. (Whew! That was a mouthful!) I saw some great quilts, lovely and amazing quilts, stunning quilts, art quilts, wonky quilts, traditional quilts, and modern quilts. I love them all.

But (as PeeWee Herman says, "But what? Everyone I know has a big 'But.'..? C'mon, Simone, let's talk about *your* big "But".) I already knew some things about quilts I will most likely never make - like an art quilt because, although I admire them immensely and some of them really speak to me, I have no desire to make one. (I was never good at drawing anyway.) I will maybe never make a Baltimore Album quilt because I just don't think I have the patience for the prep work and all the little pieces. (Warning: it might be best to take this maybe with a grain of salt because that is exactly what I used to say about hand piecing. I suppose things could change.)

But, while I can admire the overall effect and the skill of the piecing and design and quilting, wonky quilts don't speak to me. They just don't. Maybe it is because I use quilting to bring order to my life and wonky quilts are too freeform to help me with that. Maybe my need for wonkiness is thoroughly covered in other parts of my life, so I don't want it in my quilting. I can't really say for sure. I just know that wonky quilts don't speak to my soul.

And now you are saying,"Where are the quilt show pictures?" Well, I did a bad thing and didn't take pictures of the information, so until I spend some time with my program and my pictures so I can give credit where credit is due, I am not comfortable posting any.

There was a special exhibit of quilts by Pat Holly and Sue Nickels, so I can safely guarantee that the following pictures are some miniature quilts made by Pat Holly.