Sunday, October 7, 2012

Dictating My Blog Post

This post is brought to you by iOS 6 on my iPad. The new OS has a feature where you can dictate any typing you would normally do. I'm not sure which versions of the iPad this works on. I have the most recent version. And this works just fine.

Actually this is quite fun. I could see myself doing a long blog post this way. One of the tricks is to not talk for more than 30 seconds at a time. Of course, as with all types of dictation, you should be double checking before you actually post. There is always AutoCorrect to contend with as well as many little mistakes that just crop up. If you double check, you can avoid a lot of problems. Or embarrassment.

Have I ever mentioned my favorite iPad app? Well one of my favorite apps. It is called Next Issue and is touted as Netflix for magazines. The app itself is free. There is, however, a monthly charge to actually read the magazine. There are two pricing levels. The basic plan is $9.95 and get you access to several monthly magazines. The premium pricing plan is $14.99 and includes several weekly magazines such as TIME Magazine, Sports Illustrated, and people.

Not every magazine in the world is available, of course but it is an ever-growing selection, and I have been enjoying it immensely. I'm pretty sure I'm getting my $14.99 a month out of it. And, no, I am not being paid for this endorsement. You can check it out at nextissue.com.